Prof. Mary Wahome
Ag. Dean, School of Arts and Social Sciences
In its deliberations, the presidential working party on Moi University recognised that science based programmes cannot exist in the absence of the human or cultural dimension.
It was therefore, recommended that in response to public demand for the blending of scientific and technological studies with social, cultural and development studies and in recognition of the high level of output of arts based students under the present school system in the country, the second university, though predominantly science and technology should also have an art based faculty. The school is therefore expected:
- To offer arts based courses so that a significant number of students in the scientific and technological disciplines at Moi University are intimately and critically familiar with socio-cultural and environmental traits of the nation which they are destined to serve.
- To offer inter-disciplinary BA, Masters, Doctoral studies and programmes.
- To offer subject content of arts courses to students in the schools of Education and Information Sciences.
- To supply the country with people trained in the management of development which is a critical input in
- development programmes and process. This is achieved through academic programmes and participation by staff and students in research and consultancy activities.
- To provide a catalyst in the reorientation of university education and training to fit urban/rural needs and service.
- To this end, the school is expected to inject social, cultural and development dimensions in the technological and scientific programmes in the university in order to enhance the urban/rural and socio cultural components in development.